Tutorial for the Permanent Removal of the MagicJack Computer Software
Notice/Disclaimer: FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Version Number One instructions were posted as a comment to a blog via an online search, and referenced as instructions provided by MagicJack Tech Support. Version Number Two instructions were obtained directly from MagicJack Tech Support (Tech Chat), and Version Number Three instructions were provided in response to a query on The Unofficial MagicJack Forum. This blog assumes no responsibility, nor liability for the accuracy, source, and validity of these instructions. The instructions are reprinted here for informational purposes only.
At some point, and for whatever reason, we all have a need to remove computer software. In fact, the MagicJack Terms of Service (TOS) lists a specific condition under "Termination" (Section 14) is the removal of the MagicJack software from your computer. Up until a few days ago, the TOS also referred to using the MagicJack "uninstaller" (should have made a screenshot).
"MagicJack confirmed that there is currently no easy way to uninstall the software. The process required to uninstall the software requires multiple Windows Registry edits and the removal of several folders on the Windows system." - www.etech.eweek.com / Jim Rapoza
Once the MagicJack software has been successfully installed, nowhere on your computer will you find an "uninstaller" provided. You will not find it in Start>All Programs, nor under Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. This is because an uninstaller does not exist.
The three procedures below have not been tested by Digital Nomads, but I have posted these instructions as possible solutions until a very much needed MagicJack Uninstaller is announced by MagicJack. Nobody should accept having to leave unwanted software on a personal computer, or any tell-tale trace of the MJ program on a public computer, a business workstation, or a borrowed device.
Various Instructions for Removing MagicJack Software (Windows Operating System)
Version Number One
- Unplug the MagicJack USB Dongle. Go to "Start" in Windows and click on "run" and type (enter) regedit and press Enter.
- Now Click on + Sign next to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE.
- Click on + Sign next to SYSTEM.
- Click on + Sign next to CurrentControlSet.
- Click on + Sign next to Enum.
- Locate the folder called USB. Right Click on the Folder and Click on "Permissions".
- In permissions Click on the Check Mark called "Allow" to the right of "Full Control".
- Click OK.
- Next Click on + Sign next to USB and locate two folders called "Vid1307".
- Right Click on one at a time and select Delete.
- Next Click on - Sign next to USB.
- Right Click on the folder named USBSTOR and Allow permissions.
- Next Click on + Sign next to USBSTOR.
- Locate the folders named "CdRom&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev" and "Disk&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"
- Right Click on these Folders one at a time and hit Delete.
- Double Click on your Hard Drive (usually called C:\).
- Double Click on Documents and Settings.
- Double Click on the Folder that has the Username you use when logging into Windows.
- Double Click on Application Data.
- Double Click on Folder labeled "mjusbsp".
- Double Click on Folder labeled "in00000".
- Find the Setup File there and Delete.
- Use Device Manager to Uninstall the MagicJack cdrom/disk drive/usb hub.
- Unplug the MagicJack device.
- Delete the mjusbsp Directory and all Subdirectories (probably at c:\documents and settings\(your user profile name)\application data\mjusbsp).
- Use regedit to locate the HKEY Current User Talk4Free entries and Delete the Talk4Free Key and all Subkeys.
- Delete the MagicJack Directory and all Subdirectores (probably at c:\documents and settings\(your user profile name)\local settings\application data\magicjack).
- Delete any start menu and desktop Icons.
Resources for Portable Professionals and Extreme Telecommuting™